Outcasts

Outcasts

Forum for outcast sleuths.

Why did Sam do it?

the tapu

Re: Why did Sam do it?

Post by the tapu on Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:34 pm

bobskat wrote:So this is my first foray into the murder threads so please go easy on me (kidding)

I read through some of the theories on why Sam killed these people and I have to say is I don’t care if he was drunk, on drugs or psychotic, the fact remains he killed people

If he turns out to be insane, fine lock him up in a hospital for the criminally insane. If he makes a breakthrough and is determined to be healthy, send him to a maximum security prison for life

If he was on drugs then he should face the full extent of the law.

If I stalked, hounded or abused every woman who turned me down, broke up with me or just in general treated me like shit I would be in jail a hundred times over.

I don’t know if his art had anything to do with his crime or if his attraction to this form of music meant he has a violent streak and truth to tell I don’t care. I’m not one of those people who blame music, movies or video games on the raise of violence in today’s society. I blame the lack of proper teaching of right and wrong and how to tell the difference between fantasy and reality. His music was fantasy until he carried out his crime

Be honest, how many of us at one point in our lives have wished they could kill someone or even fantasized about it. The difference is we didn’t carry it through because we know it is wrong

Well...... it is an intellectual and human pursuit to ask why he did it. isn't it?

that's why i'm here......................
    ziggy

Post by ziggy on Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:52 pm

bobskat wrote:So this is my first foray into the murder threads so please go easy on me (kidding)

I read through some of the theories on why Sam killed these people and I have to say is I don’t care if he was drunk, on drugs or psychotic, the fact remains he killed people

If he turns out to be insane, fine lock him up in a hospital for the criminally insane. If he makes a breakthrough and is determined to be healthy, send him to a maximum security prison for life

If I stalked, hounded or abused every woman who turned me down, broke up with me or just in general treated me like shit I would be in jail a hundred times over.

I don’t know if his art had anything to do with his crime or if his attraction to this form of music meant he has a violent streak and truth to tell I don’t care. I’m not one of those people who blame music, movies or video games on the raise of violence in today’s society. I blame the lack of proper teaching of right and wrong and how to tell the difference between fantasy and reality. His music was fantasy until he carried out his crime

Be honest, how many of us at one point in our lives have wished they could kill someone or even fantasized about it. The difference is we didn’t carry it through because we know it is wrong

Yes Bob, I agree. I guess the mystery here is that Sam didn't show any signs of violent behavior previously, nor did he have a rap sheet at all. Rumor has it he wasn't even a heavy drug user; more of a heavy Energy Drink user if anything. All of the things you mention are correct as far as him being found guilty - regardless of the why he should pay for his crimes.

Some of us just have minds that will not stop searching for the "why" because it's like solving a riddle. It's true there may never be a why, but that won't stop us from asking.

Also, piecing together what actually happened is another mystery. I can't imagine doing anything like killing someone so it fascinates me why people decide to do something like this and how they go about it. I seek to understand things I can't possibly relate to in any way.
    dangrsmind

Post by dangrsmind on Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:06 pm

Energy drink consumption is correlated with risky behavior and drug use.

Energy Drinks, Race, and Problem Behaviors among College Students
    Kathleen E. Miller, Ph.D.
    Kathleen E. Miller, Research Institute on Addictions, University at Buffalo;
    Correspondence may be directed to: Dr. Kathleen E. Miller, Research Institute on Addictions, University at Buffalo, 1021 Main Street, Buffalo, NY 14203. Phone: (716) 887-2588. Fax: (716) 887-2215.
    The publisher's final edited version of this article is available at J Adolesc Health.

Abstract

Purpose
    This study examined relationships between energy drink consumption and problem behaviors among adolescents and emerging adults. It was hypothesized that frequent consumption of energy drinks would be positively associated with substance abuse and other risky behaviors and that these relationships would be moderated by race.

Methods
    Cross-sectional, self-report survey data were collected from 602 Western New York undergraduate students in the spring of 2006. Differences in problem behaviors by frequency of energy drink consumption were assessed with multivariate linear and logistic regressions, controlling for gender, race, age, parental education, and college grade point average. Follow-up regressions were conducted to test for a moderating effect of race.

Results
    Frequency of energy drink consumption was positively associated with marijuana use, sexual risk-taking, fighting, seatbelt omission, and taking risks on a dare for the sample as a whole, and associated with smoking, drinking, alcohol problems, and illicit prescription drug use for white students but not for black students.

Conclusions
    These findings suggest that energy drink consumption is closely associated with a problem behavior syndrome, particularly among whites. Frequent consumption of energy drinks may serve as a useful screening indicator to identify students at risk for substance use and/or other health-compromising behavior.

See [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    the tapu

Post by the tapu on Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:15 pm

ziggy wrote:

Yes Bob, I agree. I guess the mystery here is that Sam didn't show any signs of violent behavior previously, nor did he have a rap sheet at all. Rumor has it he wasn't even a heavy drug user; more of a heavy Energy Drink user if anything. All of the things you mention are correct as far as him being found guilty - regardless of the why he should pay for his crimes.

Some of us just have minds that will not stop searching for the "why" because it's like solving a riddle. It's true there may never be a why, but that won't stop us from asking.

Also, piecing together what actually happened is another mystery. I can't imagine doing anything like killing someone so it fascinates me why people decide to do something like this and how they go about it. I seek to understand things I can't possibly relate to in any way.

Yeah, what she said.

so uh ziggy are you free tonight? Smile (is that going to get me thrown out of here? maybe not since i put a smiley after it)
    blouAngel

Post by blouAngel on Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:20 pm

A RAVEN AND A SWAN

A Raven, which you know is black as coal, was envious of the Swan, because her feathers were as white as the purest snow. The foolish bird got the idea that if he lived like the Swan, swimming and diving all day long and eating the weeds and plants that grow in the water, his feathers would turn white like the Swan's.

So he left his home in the woods and fields and flew down to live on the lakes and in the marshes. But though he washed and washed all day long, almost drowning himself at it, his feathers remained as black as ever. And as the water weeds he ate did not agree with him, he got thinner and thinner, and at last he died.

A change of habits will not alter nature.

the tapu

Post by the tapu on Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:24 pm

dangrsmind wrote:Energy drink consumption is correlated with risky behavior and drug use.

Correspondence may be directed to: Dr. Kathleen E. Miller, Research Institute on Addictions, University at Buffalo, 1021 Main Street, Buffalo, NY 14203. Phone: (716) 887-2588. Fax: (716) 887-2215.
    The publisher's final edited version of this article is available at J Adolesc Health.

Abstract

Purpose
    This study examined relationships between energy drink consumption and problem behaviors among adolescents and emerging adults. It was hypothesized that frequent consumption of energy drinks would be positively associated with substance abuse and other risky behaviors and that these relationships would be moderated by race.

Methods
    Cross-sectional, self-report survey data were collected from 602 Western New York undergraduate students in the spring of 2006. Differences in problem behaviors by frequency of energy drink consumption were assessed with multivariate linear and logistic regressions, controlling for gender, race, age, parental education, and college grade point average. Follow-up regressions were conducted to test for a moderating effect of race.

Results
    Frequency of energy drink consumption was positively associated with marijuana use, sexual risk-taking, fighting, seatbelt omission, and taking risks on a dare for the sample as a whole, and associated with smoking, drinking, alcohol problems, and illicit prescription drug use for white students but not for black students.

Conclusions
    These findings suggest that energy drink consumption is closely associated with a problem behavior syndrome, particularly among whites. Frequent consumption of energy drinks may serve as a useful screening indicator to identify students at risk for substance use and/or other health-compromising behavior.

See [url=http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2575122/
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Now THAT is interesting. Thank you for that. Maybe Sam's crime is just the tip of the iceberg from what may be found out about the effects.
    I did laugh at one point though. In results. I was waitin for it to say

RESULTS
    Frequency of energy drink consumption was positively associated with marijuana use, sexual risk-taking, fighting, seatbelt omission, and mass murder by maul.
    Percy

Post by Percy on Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:36 pm

blouAngel wrote:A RAVEN AND A SWAN

A Raven, which you know is black as coal, was envious of the Swan, because her feathers were as white as the purest snow. The foolish bird got the idea that if he lived like the Swan, swimming and diving all day long and eating the weeds and plants that grow in the water, his feathers would turn white like the Swan's.

So he left his home in the woods and fields and flew down to live on the lakes and in the marshes. But though he washed and washed all day long, almost drowning himself at it, his feathers remained as black as ever. And as the water weeds he ate did not agree with him, he got thinner and thinner, and at last he died.

A change of habits will not alter nature.

That's rich.

Post by bobskat on Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:08 pm

ziggy wrote: Yes Bob, I agree. I guess the mystery here is that Sam didn't show any signs of violent behavior previously, nor did he have a rap sheet at all. Rumor has it he wasn't even a heavy drug user; more of a heavy Energy Drink user if anything. All of the things you mention are correct as far as him being found guilty - regardless of the why he should pay for his crimes.

Wow

Instead of the “Twinkie Defense” we can call it the “Red Bull Defense” :

Zig

I do sometimes get caught up in the whys and such because like you, I cannot imagine really doing anything like that.

It always astonishes me when I read in the paper “Jane was shot by her ex boyfriend who she broke up with xx years ago”

OK so Sam spent time with a woman who didn’t want to continue the relationship. Or maybe she was young, enjoyed sex and didn’t want to be committed to one person. A few hundred years ago when I was in my 20’s I knew a woman who slept with 5 different guys. She was “dating” them on different nights. Now 3 of them were friends with each other and all thought they were in love with her. One night she tried to get me to sleep with her and since she had already fucked up two of my friends relationships I decided that I a) didn’t need the stds she may have and b) my friendship with one of them was more important than a rump in the sack. (and yes sometimes I do regret that choice)

The point of the story is that maybe Emma just didn’t want to be with just him.

It’s really hard to understand someone’s reasons when they themselves are not even sure of why they did it
    ziggy

Post by ziggy on Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:01 pm

That's a good point Bob, maybe. I think he was certainly upset that after months of online oooing and coooing with Emma and spending the money to go see her he was treated like a leper - made fun of and shunned. I am curious as to why Emma would bestow a gaggle (how much is a gaggle anyway?) of hickeys on his neck and then change her mind and think he was someone she wanted nothing to do with. What happened there?
    Bob: bros before hos (hoes?) man, don't ever regret that decision.

Maybe energy drinks could caused a lack of sleep, which some of you may know, can cause a person to hallucinate and act irrationally. I think that is a loser as a defense though.
    bobskat

Post by bobskat on Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:03 pm

ziggy wrote:That's a good point Bob, maybe. I think he was certainly upset that after months of online oooing and coooing with Emma and spending the money to go see her he was treated like a leper - made fun of and shunned. I am curious as to why Emma would bestow a gaggle (how much is a gaggle anyway?) of hickeys on his neck and then change her mind and think he was someone she wanted nothing to do with. What happened there?

Maybe energy drinks could caused a lack of sleep, which some of you may know, can cause a person to hallucinate and act irrationally. I think that is a loser as a defense though.
    I can't tell you the number of times I made out with someone at a party while in high school only to have them shun me later
    It happens and it happens a lot with young people
    It is part of life
    A shame this time it was part of a death
    ziggy

Post by ziggy on Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:08 pm

That depends on what "free" means, ha ha. I'm supposed to be thinking like a lawyer. I am really no longer free but a slave to the government. No seriously, I'm free tonight.
    Percy

Post by Percy on Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:29 pm

bobskat wrote:
    ziggy wrote:That's a good point Bob, maybe. I think he was certainly upset that after months of online oooing and coooing with Emma and spending the money to go see her he was treated like a leper - made fun of and shunned. I am curious as to why Emma would bestow a gaggle (how much is a gaggle anyway?) of hickeys on his neck and then change her mind and think he was someone she wanted nothing to do with. What happened there?

I can't tell you the number of times I made out with someone at a party while in high school only to have them shun me later
    It happens and it happens a lot with young people
    It is part of life
    A shame this time it was part of a death
    Indeed and welcome to the discussion Bob I am glad you decided to join us up here, its not all case talk, you can chit chat up here too, there is no off topic rules so join in and do your thing!

Post by the tapu on Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:35 pm

ziggy wrote:I'm free tonight.

Im hopin you secretly meant that for me.

Last edited by Crow on Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
    the tapu

Post by the tapu on Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:39 pm

I was thinking about this again (geez) and you know how emma said that she was with a guy she didn't even know or couldn't stand (what was it??) Well maybe Sam was acting like a killer then. i mean not that they knew he was really a killer, but he may have been so weird, like in some psychotic break, that they clued in enough to say that at least. Then, usually nobody thinks, wow that guy might murder us tonight in our sleep. So it didn't go that far. But it would mean that Sam was homicidel or scary anyway earlier than when he got them.
    bobskat

Post by bobskat on Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:58 pm

Good point crow
    claudicici

Post by claudicici on Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:16 pm

[quote="Crow"]
    dangrsmind wrote:Energy drink consumption is correlated with risky behavior and drug use.

Abstract

Purpose

Methods

Results

Conclusions

See [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]]

Now THAT is interesting. Thank you for that. Maybe Sam's crime is just the tip of the iceberg from what may be found out about the effects.
    I did laugh at one point though. In results. I was waitin for it to say

RESULTS
    Frequency of energy drink consumption was positively associated with marijuana use, sexual risk-taking, fighting, seatbelt omission, and mass murder by maul.
    I am addicted to those drinks...
    dangrsmind

Post by dangrsmind on Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:29 pm

the tapu

Post by the tapu on Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:35 pm

claudicici wrote:
    Crow wrote:

RESULTS
    I am addicted to those drinks...

You should ask a relative or friend to come into your house and remove your mauls.
    ziggy

Post by ziggy on Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:44 pm

Wish I knew what it was Crow that made her turn against him. Could be you're right...could be he got dark and violent; could be he made threats and although it creeped them out, they didn't take him seriously...or...it could be as simple as he had bad breath and was a little too dough boy. The solid answer to those questions died. Sad
    the tapu

Post by the tapu on Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:48 pm

ziggy wrote:Wish I knew what it was Crow that made her turn against him. Could be you're right...could be he got dark and violent; could be he made threats and although it creeped them out, they didn't take him seriously...or...it could be as simple as he had bad breath and was a little too dough boy. The solid answer to those questions died. Sad

I don't think the dough boy thing did it. There were a lot of pix of sam on the net, and you know those kids take and send pix like crazy. Emma knew what he looked like as well as we do.
    Percy

Post by Percy on Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:43 am

blouAngel wrote:
    Paximus wrote:
    dangrsmind wrote:Mississippi in the summer?

dance
    LOL yea you know I have no idea what its really like there for the extended summer. I went there after Katrina to help with the recovery as part of a team of builders and other skillfull handymen types and we did a lot of rebuilding at that time but it was closer to fall then summer at the time and the weather was actually nice, thats how I met the lawyer that wants me to come up in May ans help him with a pretty controversial murder case with a lot of racial undertones where we believe the client is completely innocent and wrongfully accused. But anyway, what should I expect in the summer there, humidity, hurricane weather etc lol. Heat doesnt bother me hell I live in Arizona remember?

Any idea how far the drive is from Mississipi, the Hattiesberg area, to Farmville, I dont see any maps online that show the driving distance between those two small towns, I am hoping its not too far and I can get a few trips to Farmvillege in during downtime.

Arizona heat is dry, which means when you sweat it cools you. Southern heat is very humid, which means when you sweat, you drip all over the place and stick to furniture. You will love August in Mississippi. Traveling to Virginia, where it will merely be hot and humid as opposed to hellishly hot and humid will seem like relief. It's about a 13 1/2 hour journey.

Thanks for this Blou, I totally forgot about MAPQUEST, never used it much but it looks very handy assuming thats where this came from, I am printing this out so thank you very much for the help.

13 hours is a trip worth taking all things considered, I could make it there in two days and take my time and see a good part of the South that I have never seen before so I am definitely going to plan for this once I settle down in Mississippi in May for the trial work I have to be there for. I hope you and I and Heroine and PG can meet up for coffee when I get there, lunch will be on me for sure and all the beers you want!

Like I said earlier I spent a few months in Mississippi after Katrina helping a crew do some clean-up and rebuilding work because my wife's mother is from there and she was hit hard by it and lost a lot of the structures on her property so I went to help her and others rebuild, it was a great experience and it is indeed very humid but nothing that really bothered me much. The dry heat in Arizona, even when it is 117 at midday isnt as bad as many would at first assume, for reasons you mention, you do cool off quickly because the sweat actually cools you as opposed to making you all sticky. I have a lot of extended family in southern Ohio where it is also very humid and have spent a lot of time there doing farmwork on the family farm over the years so I am somewhat used to that kind of humidity but it does suck getting out of the shower, drying off and ending up SOAKING WET again within ten minutes. And oh, those damn misquitos! We dont have much in the way of Misquitos here in Arizona, at least nothing like they do in Ohio and Mississippi, its a war zone out there with those things at certain times of the year and day.

Post by Percy on Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:25 am

Bob if you feel you want to get in to this discussion with us let me know and I will happily direct you to the information you need to get up to speed, also keep in mind most of the forum's discussion will probably take place up here so you can bring some general discussion chit chat right here in these threads if you feel the desire, just jump in and have fun and flirt with the girls.

Post by claudicici on Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:51 am

Crow wrote:I was thinking about this again (geez) and you know how emma said that she was with a guy she didn't even know or couldn't stand (what was it??) Well maybe Sam was acting like a killer then. i mean not that they knew he was really a killer, but he may have been so weird, like in some psychotic break, that they clued in enough to say that at least. Then, usually nobody thinks, wow that guy might murder us tonight in our sleep. So it didn't go that far. But it would mean that Sam was homicidel or scary anyway earlier than when he got them.
    I've been trying to find emma's vampirefreak page but I couldn't..anyways if I remember correctly she made it pretty clear on there that she wouldn't mind a "killer" type, she also knew his song lyrics I'm sure so I tend to think he wasn't enough of a "killer" in her eyes and maybe that's what she was teasing him about...somewhere I read before (don't remember ) that Sam was pretty Emo, I know from my daughter and her friends that's like the worst thing you can call someone ( she's completely emo) but if you call her that it results in almost a rage ( I better keep those energy drinks securly away from her)....maybe that's what Emma turned off about Sam and resulted in him showing her what a "killer" he actually is...
    the tapu

Post by the tapu on Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:43 am

Whoa! That's a good twist. That seems like it fits more with how Sam was or came off, looked like.

Do you work at night? That's what I see alot of people doing-work at night and drink those energy drinks to keep up. When I'm doing a job, it's usually at night and I toss down a few of those. I don't think theyre as bad as coffee on your stomach.
    claudicici

Post by claudicici on Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:58 am

coffee makes me jittery,they don't for some reason

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:46 pm