Outcasts

Outcasts

Forum for outcast sleuths.


    Countries Where You Don't Want To Go To Jail

    Share

    Guest
    Guest

    Countries Where You Don't Want To Go To Jail

    Post by Guest on Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:53 pm

    http://www.roadjunky.com/article/1564/10-countries-where-you-dont-want-to-go-to-jail
    Travel Health 10 Countries Where You Don't Want to Go to Jail By Roadjunky, Posted Mar 20, 2010 Your average Brazilian jail Of all the threats to a traveler’s health and sanity, the risk of going to jail abroad must rank pretty high on the list. The world can be a scary, dangerous place where the life of the traveler is threatened on all sides. There are killer diseases, muggers, natural disasters and terrible karaoke music that all represent perils to the traveler’s health and sanity. But while most travel guides assume that responsible travelers will never be on the wrong end of the law, Road Junky knows that the police of most countries in the world are just the criminals in uniform and make no bones about extorting money from you, beating you up or, if all else fails, putting you in jail. So here are ten of the worst places in the world to go to jail. Travel there by all means but memorise the number of a good lawyer before you go. 1. China China is the world’s largest police state and punishes people who do the wrong kind of Tai chi by sending them to labour camps to harvest their internal organs for sale. Really. Check out the wiki on China’s non-existent human rights. Practitioners of Falun Gong are tortured in water dungeons, their nails are removed – whatever it takes to get them to renounce their morning exercises and pledge allegiance to one of the world’s most evil governments. The traveler in China would do well not to speak too loudly about things like bathroom breaks for sweatshop workers or radical concepts like poor people have human rights too. Otherwise he might end up being shot in the back of the head somewhere if the local police chief can’t be bothered to have him deported. 2. The USA America has the largest prison population in the world and treatment of prisoners is as bad as anything you’ve seen on the news about Guantánamo Bay or Abu Graib. Prisoners are routinely beaten up, electrocuted around the genitals with stun guns and strapped tightly into chairs where you’ve got a fair bet of dying from suffocation or lack of blood supply to the brain. And that’s not even counting what the other prisoners might do to you. Going to jail in America is pretty easy as there’s a law for everything and if you happen to be black, Arabic or smoking a joint in the wrong Southern state, you might find yourself singing that old Jailhouse Rock in no time. Check out the BBC reportage on American jails 3. Thailand For all the smiling benevolence of the Thais and their slightly feminine male population, Thai jails are about as bad as things get. You can end up sharing a cell with another 30 drug addicts and murderers for overstaying your visa, smoking dope or being as dumb as the Swedish backpacker who drew a mustache on a picture of the king. Only the mercy of the monarch saved him from being beaten to death in jail. 4. India Most foreigner prisoners in Indian jails are there for being caught with drugs on buses or in the airports but there’s good news, the Indian government recently set a new target for trials of foreign nationals – the trials must now reach a conclusion within 2 years of the initial arrest. Way to go, Indian justice! There’s almost no food available inside and even if you do get any money sent in from friends, you’ll need most of it to pay off the protection rackets. 5. Brazil, Bolivia, Colombia etc Get this, in most South American jails you’re required to rent your own cell and bed. Nothing is given to you for free whatsoever and many prisoners actually resort to selling crack inside the jail just in order to survive. The guards limit themselves to making sure there are no major riots and allow the criminal justice system to work itself out in prison corridors with knives and clubs. Check out the excellent movie Cairandiru if you don’t believe us. 6-10 Just about anywhere else outside Europe and the First World We were too spoilt for choice to continue – just about all you’ve read above could apply to almost any country in Africa, Central America or South East Asia. Human rights aren’t a given in most of the world, they’re a concept that rarely sees light of day in mainstream society, let alone the prison system. Moral of the story? Before you get too casual about taking drugs abroad, even smuggling them or getting involved in any dodgy moneymaking activity in the developing world, you’d better either be as hard as nails or else the son or daughter of the ambassador in residence. More about foreign jails. Help Prisoners Abroad

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Countries Where You Don't Want To Go To Jail

    Post by Guest on Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:54 pm

    If you click the link on the top it is formatted to make it easier to read.
    I found this article fascinating because it listed the USA as #2. The website is based out of the UK.
    avatar
    Kay

    Posts : 143
    Join date : 2010-03-29
    Age : 56
    Location : Gulf Coast

    Re: Countries Where You Don't Want To Go To Jail

    Post by Kay on Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:04 pm

    Scott wrote:If you click the link on the top it is formatted to make it easier to read.
    I found this article fascinating because it listed the USA as #2. The website is based out of the UK.

    I can't believe that out of ALL the countries in the world, the USA ranks #2 as worst place to be incarcerated.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Countries Where You Don't Want To Go To Jail

    Post by Guest on Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:39 am

    I personally don' believe we are the #2 worst place to be locked up but I did find it interesting to see the perspective from a European author. I wonder if they have ever been here. What do we think about places we have never visited based upon only things we read or see on tv?
    avatar
    ziggy

    Posts : 950
    Join date : 2010-02-16
    Age : 56
    Location : Sonoma County CA

    Re: Countries Where You Don't Want To Go To Jail

    Post by ziggy on Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:48 pm

    I don't want to go to jail in any country; but thanks for the tips. Do you think any of that is a deterent? I

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Countries Where You Don't Want To Go To Jail

    Post by Guest on Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:07 pm

    Is the threat of punishment a deterrent? Sure. In a lot of cases it probably is. It does not eliminate crime but it reduces it. I'm not sure if prison conditions make much of a difference in the deterrent factor. I think, much like you, most people don't want to go to jail in any country.
    avatar
    ziggy

    Posts : 950
    Join date : 2010-02-16
    Age : 56
    Location : Sonoma County CA

    Re: Countries Where You Don't Want To Go To Jail

    Post by ziggy on Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:44 pm

    Ok, so if threat of punishment in a bad prison is a deterrent of sorts, then why would not the death penalty also be? Something's not right with the logic.

    By the way, I'm not accusing you of anything or trying to put you on the spot...I like Scott! I just find this subject fascinating and am curious about why prison but not death would be a deterent.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Countries Where You Don't Want To Go To Jail

    Post by Guest on Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:56 pm

    ziggy wrote:Ok, so if threat of punishment in a bad prison is a deterrent of sorts, then why would not the death penalty also be? Something's not right with the logic.

    By the way, I'm not accusing you of anything or trying to put you on the spot...I like Scott! I just find this subject fascinating and am curious about why prison but not death would be a deterent.
    Threat of punishment certainly IS a deterrent IN MANY CASES. The punishment does not even have to be prison.There are consequences to all kinds of behavior. We follow social customs in the ways in which we relate to each other. When we are nasty people don't want to be around us. When someone is mad at their boss they don't tell them to go @#$@ themselves becuase there is a consequence. I follow traffic laws not becuase I love driving slow but because I don't want to get tickets. Most people do not hit someone when they make them angry. Most people do not take things that do not belong to them. I think to a point there is order because there are consequences to actions.
    To a point....because the cause and effect relationship of crime and punishment works for people who are making logical and reasoned decisions.
    Murder may be the most extreme example of breaking the rules. In those cases the punishment is already extreme. The perpetrator has either not considered their actions logically or they have considered them rejected the notion that they will be caught. Life in prison is not getting away with anything. Making the punishment more extreme does not have a more extreme deterrent effect.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Countries Where You Don't Want To Go To Jail

    Post by Guest on Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:03 pm

    A friend of mine who spent a career as a police officer told me once that society works because most people have a stake in what happens. Most people follow the rules. 2 police officers can walk into a bar with 100 patrons and arrest 1 man. They can do this because MOST people respect a uniform to a point. They may not like what happens. They may be rude. They may make comments. They may file a complaint. Very few people will ever put hands on a police officer and try to stop them from doing their job.
    And then there are the few that will try to kill an officer to get away from a traffic stop. There will always be a fringe group that will not follow the rules whatever those rules may be. Continuing to ramp up punishment more and more and more does not eliminate that.
    avatar
    ziggy

    Posts : 950
    Join date : 2010-02-16
    Age : 56
    Location : Sonoma County CA

    Re: Countries Where You Don't Want To Go To Jail

    Post by ziggy on Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:12 pm

    Good points however, the more severe punishment could have a deterent effect on some as in, " I wouldn't want to go to jail in THAT country..."

    Murderers, as you point out so well, don't think about the consequences. Either they are in a heat of passion state, under some bizarre influence or they are just acting with their socially defective mind, and they either think about the consequences after they've done the deed to not get caught or premeditated some elaborate plan to avoid getting caught.

    How come we consider putting a suffering pet down to be compassionate, mutilating a glob of cells that has fingers, toes, eyes and a heart beat a "choice" and putting a person in a cage for life so they can suffer the right thing to do? It's so confounding to me.
    avatar
    tapu

    Posts : 228
    Join date : 2010-02-16
    Age : 57
    Location : Sunny Maine

    Re: Countries Where You Don't Want To Go To Jail

    Post by tapu on Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:15 pm

    Do you think that LWOP and the DP are, like, six of one, half dozen of the other, to perps?

    As to your point of how certain types of murderers wouldn't care about the threat of a dp, isn't it preferable still, to deter those who are affected?


    p.s. I like Scott, too! A lot! Let's have him over, Ziggy. Smile


    Last edited by tapu on Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    ziggy

    Posts : 950
    Join date : 2010-02-16
    Age : 56
    Location : Sonoma County CA

    Re: Countries Where You Don't Want To Go To Jail

    Post by ziggy on Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:16 pm

    Scott - I've been catching up on some TV that I never got to watch since I used to own a dance studio and worked until 10 every night. One show that people used to talk about was Boston Legal. I started at episode 1 and have worked my way into season 4. I don't have TV so internet entertainment is all I have.

    I feel like I am Denny Crane and you are Alan Shore and we are on the balcony discussing isses. Now if only we could have some scotch and cigars Smile
    avatar
    tapu

    Posts : 228
    Join date : 2010-02-16
    Age : 57
    Location : Sunny Maine

    Re: Countries Where You Don't Want To Go To Jail

    Post by tapu on Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:18 pm

    Can I be the manservant and get those for you?

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Countries Where You Don't Want To Go To Jail

    Post by Guest on Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:51 pm

    ziggy wrote:Good points however, the more severe punishment could have a deterent effect on some as in, " I wouldn't want to go to jail in THAT country..."

    Murderers, as you point out so well, don't think about the consequences. Either they are in a heat of passion state, under some bizarre influence or they are just acting with their socially defective mind, and they either think about the consequences after they've done the deed to not get caught or premeditated some elaborate plan to avoid getting caught.

    How come we consider putting a suffering pet down to be compassionate, mutilating a glob of cells that has fingers, toes, eyes and a heart beat a "choice" and putting a person in a cage for life so they can suffer the right thing to do? It's so confounding to me.
    My first son was born 10 weeks premature. He was acutally in crisis 2 weeks prior to that we just did not know a the time. My wife was induced because she was actively dying at the time. We were on the edge of things being okay for him. Had the same situation happened earlier, he may not have made it. [see post I did a week or so ago about the Catholic nun]. Both wife and son are doing well now. We were extremely fortunate. I think abortion is a terrible thing to do HOWEVER there are so many possible scenarios that I cannot say that for everyone in all cases is should not be done. It needs to be safe and legal.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Countries Where You Don't Want To Go To Jail

    Post by Guest on Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:55 pm

    tapu wrote:Do you think that LWOP and the DP are, like, six of one, half dozen of the other, to perps?

    As to your point of how certain types of murderers wouldn't care about the threat of a dp, isn't it preferable still, to deter those who are affected?


    p.s. I like Scott, too! A lot! Let's have him over, Ziggy.
    Thanks. I like you too.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Countries Where You Don't Want To Go To Jail

    Post by Guest on Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:58 pm

    ziggy wrote:Scott - I've been catching up on some TV that I never got to watch since I used to own a dance studio and worked until 10 every night. One show that people used to talk about was Boston Legal. I started at episode 1 and have worked my way into season 4. I don't have TV so internet entertainment is all I have.

    I feel like I am Denny Crane and you are Alan Shore and we are on the balcony discussing isses. Now if only we could have some scotch and cigars
    Great show. I certainly did not see all of them but the ones I did catch had some compelling legal questions in them.
    We'd make a good team.
    avatar
    ziggy

    Posts : 950
    Join date : 2010-02-16
    Age : 56
    Location : Sonoma County CA

    Re: Countries Where You Don't Want To Go To Jail

    Post by ziggy on Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:10 pm

    tapu wrote:Can I be the manservant and get those for you?

    Anytime...man. Smile
    avatar
    ziggy

    Posts : 950
    Join date : 2010-02-16
    Age : 56
    Location : Sonoma County CA

    Re: Countries Where You Don't Want To Go To Jail

    Post by ziggy on Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:22 pm

    Virgina man says the death penalty is the only way to stop him from murdering:

    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/06/12/prisoner-killed-cellmate-says-way-stop-death-row-vows-appeal/?test=latestnews

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Countries Where You Don't Want To Go To Jail

    Post by Guest on Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:38 pm

    Wow. another seriously defective individual. I seem to be using that term a lot on the forum. I think it best describes a lot of the subject matter.
    He won't kill again in Red Onion. It is the toughest prison in the state and specifically designed for people just like him. He simply won't have the access to another human.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Countries Where You Don't Want To Go To Jail

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:51 am